Thursday, February 17, 2011

Idea for a Mssiah Sequencer VST

I've been kickin the old bean around about making a vst that would interact with the Mssiah Sequencer. What I've got so far is this: You would create a separate VST for each instrument. When one of them is triggered by midi, it will increment a shared variable for the output midi channel. This will make it so you can just compose freely and voice stealing will be handled automatically.

Here's a visualization for a Live set with five c64 instruments.




















If there's any interest in this, leave a comment. I'll get to it eventually anyway, but just to have some input.

2 comments:

  1. I am really interested to see where this is going.

    I would just like to clarify though, this is to control the midi mode of the sequencer rather than the actual sequencer right? I don't think the vanilla sequencer looks for any midi notes outside of the "instrument" creator or midi mode. Or, wait you can record midi notes straight to the sequencer from a midi keyboard, right? Haha, I'm just confusing myself more than helping.

    I am definitely interested in ANY Mssiah work you do. Last year I paid $10 for a windows program that interfaced with the mono synthesizer because I had no other choice (only had a keyboard with USB Midi). No offense to the creator of that program (since it works) but you're doing much better work and at a fairer price. You're also appealing to the mac crowd which helps me out when I don't want to use my full size desktop.

    ugh, I can't believe it took me this long to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks man. This is stuff that I was going to create anyway, so I decided to share.

    Yeah this idea might not work out as I had planned. Yes I was planning to have it work in midi mode. I thought that maybe I could switch out which instruments were assigned to which channel. I dont think that's true though. I might just work on adding features to the Monosynth vst rather than this thing. I dunno. If you have any ideas about this or something else though give me a shout.

    ReplyDelete